Brown rice salad with raspberries and blackberries
- 3 cups water
- 1 ½ cup long-grain brown rice
- 1 orange, zested and juice
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3 scallions, minced
- ½ cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 ½ cups berries
- Fresh mint for garnish
Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add rice, return to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender, 40 minutes. Remove from the heat, spread out on a sheet pan to speed cooling or transfer to a metal bowl and refrigerate until cold, about 2 hours.
Whisk orange juice, orange zest, olive oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Stir in scallions, almonds and the rice. Fold in berries and garnish with mint.